San Vigilio di Marebbe, Al Plan in ladin language, is the local capital and, naturally, the main center of the Marebbe area, which includes the towns of Pieve di Marebbe, Longega and Rina. As is to be expected, it offers all the services local people need and is the vibrant center of the area's social, administrative, cultural and also tourist life. Whilst always bound to its farming traditions and customs, it is a town in which innovation and the new have always found a made-to-measure attentive space.
Pieve di Marebbe, La Plì in ladin language, at 1284 meters of altitude, on the slopes of Plan de Corones, is the area's most historic and history-packed town, a place worth exploring. Its name derives from its parish church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, still a site of pilgrimage and historically the religious center of the whole valley. Today it contains Renaissance art treasures while its small center, almost all clustered around the church, highlights the fine aristocratic residence called Granciasa
-large house- while the road to the Pliscia Vila passes the now renovated Brach castle. Pieve di Marebbe is encircled by a great many "Viles", of which the largest is Curt/Corte. All merit at least a short visit.
Rina, perched at 1394 meters of altitude on the left bank of the Gadera stream, on the slopes of Munt da Rina, is a farming, artisan town much beloved of its people, who still accept the inconveniences generated by distance from the main towns and places of study and work, rather than leave it behind. In the morning, Rina is always the first village the sun shines on and it is precisely in Rina, in far off 1889, that the South Tyrol's first Raiffeisen co-operative was set up by its parish priest Ujöp (Giuseppe) Dasser.
Longega, situated at the confluence of the Gadera stream and Rio San Vigilio, is practically the gateway to the Marebbe area. On the Badia valley's old and new state roads, it was a historic rest and trading point for travelers.
Nowadays, the small center of Longega is growing more and more, making life easier for its residents, young and old, thanks to the services it offers.
San Martino in Badia, San Martin de Tor in ladin language, is the chief town of the second, homonym, municipality member of the tourist office. Dominated from the castle "Ciastel de Tor", now headquarter of the Museum Ladin, surrounded by the fractions of Piccolino, Lungiarü and Antermoia, is located in the middle of the Val Badia, raised at 1.127 meters above the orographic valley floor of the Gadera. Ancient jurisdictional seat, a center for activities that are mainly artisan and peasant, but it is also the main seat of the Ladin Cultural Institute "Micurà de Rü" which has a very valuable public library.
Through the provincial road of Passo delle Erbe, it is also connected with the Val de Funes, Luson and Bressanone.
Longiarù, Lungiarü in Ladin, is a renowned craftcenter, particularly with regard to the carpentery and, from the point of view of tourism, it has been registered among the " mountaineering village", first of all among all the places in the Dolomites. To become a "mounaineering village" you have to respect the prerogatives that exclude the excessive luxury and the mass tourism, instead favouring simplicity, naturalness, cordiality and the respect to the nature. The Nature Park of the
Puez-Odle offers hiking trails in summer and toboggan runs in winter. The valuable "mills valley" in the Val di Seres, with the adjoining "Vila", complete the attractions of Longiarü.
Antermoia, in Ladin Antermëia, is located at the foot of the Passo delle Erbe at 1.515 m.
A simple and charming farming village that has the greatest attraction in the peace and tranquillity of unspoiled places and landscapes. In winter you will find in Antermoia a small ski area, where children learn to ski away from the big ski areas in complete safety, or the cross-country ski slope on Passo delle Erbe, in the Nature Park Puez-Odle. The proximity to Passo delle Erbe and the Nature Park, makes Antermoia in summer an ideal starting point for wonderful excursions.
Piccolino, Picolin in ladin language, is a fraction of San Martin, at 1.100m. It was always a place of transit and recreation as it was crossed by the old Val Badia road. It was a predominatly agricultural place, with some noble residences house. The industrial area, the social and health district and the noble houses are part of Picolin. The cable car Piculin, which is connected to the Piz de Plaies, is the connection between the ski areas Plan de Corones and Alta Badia.